East Feliciana Parish is located in the heart of Louisiana Plantation Country, established in 1824 when the old parish of Feliciana was divided in half now known as West Feliciana and East Feliciana, which is Spanish for "Happy Land", encompasses 456 square miles in the state's hill section.
The region that became East Feliciana was settled primarily by the British, although settlers from the Atlantic states were mainly of Irish and Scottish descent. Possessing a high level of intelligence, culture, and aristocratic tradition, these immigrants transformed the area into a major legal, educational, and commercial center during the antebellum period.
The residents’ ability to build palatial homes was a result of the thriving cotton industry. With the completion of the Clinton and Port Hudson Railroad in 1840, it became easier to ship cotton and other products, and the parish’s seat of Clinton began to export approximately twenty-five thousand bales of cotton annually. Also exporting sugar and molasses, a magazine of the time noted that Clinton had more business transactions than any other town of its size in the south.
East Feliciana Parish is a sparsely populated parish known for its sleepy, small, historic southern towns, timber and agricultural lands, one stoplight, families representing many generations, and a scattering of "newcomers”.
East Feliciana Parish is home to an estimated 20,970 residents. Of these parish residents, 7,840 live in incorporated towns or villages. East Feliciana Parish contains five small incorporated municipalities, located ten to fifteen miles from one to another, including Town of Jackson (pop. 3,842); Town of Clinton (pop. 1,531); Town of Slaughter (pop. 997); Village of Wilson (pop. 595); and Village of Norwood (pop. 322)
Located in the rolling hills and piney woods only 30 miles north of Louisiana's capital, Baton Rouge, and 65 miles south of Natchez, Mississippi.
Copyright © 2020 East Feliciana Parish Economic Development District - All Rights Reserved.